Meet the Echoes of Winter Characters!


First, I'd like to welcome Dominique Goodall to my blog. Today she will give us some insight on her title and character names for her story Echoes of Winter. When you are finished reading the names and their meanings chime in on them down in the comments section so Dominique and I can chat with you! Thanks for stopping by!



Echoes of Winter – a tale of wolves, cougars, lynxes, wildcats and dogs. The name itself is meant to be evocative, made to be remembered. It started when I knew I wanted my book set in winter – and what happens when a wolf howls? The sound echoes. I had an image in my mind of how a howl would sound, especially when partnered with the snow…and it instantly fit into place. I lovethat all the creatures I write about can survive in the snow, as well as the weather and environment in the coming few books.
A friend suggested something ‘of Winter’ and it didn’t take long before the name was complete and I had it in mind every time I wrote. I even loved/love the way I can shorten it to EoW when talking/writing about it!
As for the names in the book, they are mostly names that appear on numerous wolf websites – but some names are those of my friends. Without looking at my MS, I’ll give you a run-down on the names and then what they mean!



Convel – Wolf warrior (Celtic) – I named him this because he is Alpha – a warrior
Tikaani – wolf (Ahtna Athabascan)
Teira – I have no idea where her name came from. She told me that was her name!
Amore – love
Morte – hate
Shadow – Named for her meek personality
Faolan/Hunter – little wolf (Irish, Gaelic) – Later calls himself Hunter for a reason…
Singer – Named after the one character that represents me
Fritz – I wanted an odd name. Something which was almost self-absorbed and different!
Siltin – This seemed apt for a cat for me! It’s sibilant, sounds more innocent than it is and yet…it’s different.
Tamats – This was another cat-name. I often had names spring into mind while I was writing Echoes of Winter
Sage – Sage was named this as it means wisdom, wise woman – and she was an elderly lynx.
Salvia – Not sure where I got her name from either – but it suits her.
Mae – Something short, pretty and memorable for a character who will be appearing often.
Vhenan – One of the most important people in my life provided this name.
Baker – The other important person provided this name too!
Draven – Means protector of love – he could easily be a Beta in the pack in coming novels…
Frazer – Unusual, brash name.
Jessie – Typical little terrier name.
Obviously, Amore and Morte have the easiest names to work out their meanings – they are called love and hate because Morte has been objected to the hatred which can fill anyone’s heart, and Amore called that because she did everything for her sister out of love.
So…

Now you’ve seen my names and heard my reasoning behind the names (as confusing as they may seem)…what do you think? Do you like the names? Have you heard them before?
Dominique Goodall is the author of the soon to be released Echoes of Winter, book one in the Seasons of the Wolf series and a self-confessed wolf addict. She has currently been published in two anthologies by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing and is currently working on getting herself better known by sending in manuscripts for as many different anthologies as she possibly can.
As much as she loves to admit it, she never will be able to count her wolf stuff- there's nothing left for her to be truly able to collect without her own home.

She can be friended on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/WaterSinger
Her twitter name is: https://twitter.com/#!/DomGoodall

And her blog can be found here: http://dominiquegoodall.wordpress.com/

Comments

Popular Posts